NYC-based pro hair and makeup artist Priscilla Vargas knows how to play up a woman’s natural beauty. For evidence of her brilliant touch, check out her work on Sabina Karlsson, Marquita Pring, and Julie Henderson, you know, if radiant megababes are your jam.
And now, she’s going to show you how to master a dewy, natural makeup look that actually looks like you. She starts with quick skincare regimen, and then she’ll show you her handy technique for a super light contour and the key to doing your brows so they don’t look crazy. After the video, check out the GIFs we’ve gathered of all of the makeup steps for your ready reference.
1. Take a little bit of light foundation on the back of your hand and use your hands to smooth it on your face for a nice, even complexion. Go under your eyes so you don’t have to use as much concealer because Priscilla says, that “makes the skin not look like skin anymore, which you want to avoid.” (You can mix foundations too.)
2. Use a tone of concealer that is a shade or half a shade lighter than your skin. Dab it under your eyes to lighten your undereye circles. As Priscilla says, “you don’t want to cover them completely when you’re doing no-makeup.” Cover anything else the foundation didn’t cover like redness around your nose or breakouts with a brush.
3. Go in with a blush in a cool color to create a little bit of contour. “You really want it to look like a shadow,” Priscilla says.
4. Brush bronzer on your forehead toward the hairline.
5. When you do your eyebrows, start with the side opposite the side you write with. Start your line at the thicker part and do light strokes, filling in where needed by following the grain of the hair. Pro tip: when you’re filling in your brows, keep the mirror farther away, and don’t hold it too close. “We want to have natural filled in brows.” Brush them up to finish it off.
6. Use your hands to apply a warm eyeshadow onto the eyelid and blend it upward into the crease.
7. Use your middle finger and ring finger to blend highlighter into the cheekbone. You can go up into the brow bone.
8. Apply blush by pushing it into the apples of your cheeks, by following the pattern of where you naturally get flushed.
9. Line your eyes by creating a super tight line on the eyelash with a brown eyeliner and smudge it out.
10. Curl your lashes with an eyelash curler.
11. Go right back in with some mascara.
12. To amp up your lips, use a liner that’s a little darker than your natural lips and lightly draw outside the lip line. Finish it off with lip conditioner.
13. Apply a light stain that’s similar to your natural lip color.
14. Apply powder wherever you feel you need to to set it at the end so that your skin retains its dewiness.
Photo courtesy of Priscilla Vargas
My Jennifer Lawrence Inspired-Thanksgiving Style and Beauty
These Celebrities Went Makeup-Free and Gasp! Survived