Let’s be real. Few Christmas movies can compare to the sheer genius of the first and second Home Alone films. They’re funny without trying too hard, they’re lovey dovey without going all Full House. There’s no frilly, fantastical, over-the-top plot twist like Santa and his reindeer saving Kevin from the bad guys (twice.) It’s real life stuff, like learning how to deal with a screwed up family, not being a total failure of a parent, why you shouldn’t feed the pigeons in Central Park, and how you should always tip people in chewing gum.
Of course the best part of both movies is when Kate McCallister (Catherine O’Hara) discovers that, oopsies, she’s forgotten to include little Kevin in the holiday vacation. Her reaction face in Home Alone 2 is one that haunts us and sums up everything we’re feeling re: life, especially around the holidays when life gets crazy and people get even crazier. So here are twelve times when the “Kevin!” face accurately sums up the holidays.
1. When the notorious creeper from work catches you under the holiday party mistletoe.
2. When you realize it’s Christmas Eve and you’ve only gotten the family dog a present.
3. When you realize how crowded the mall is, so you decide to make your family IOU cards to slip in their stockings instead.
4. When you spend three hours baking your grandma’s favorite cookies and then set off every fire alarm in the building because you dozed off while they were in the oven.
5. When your grandma gives you a gift card to Outback Steakhouse for the fourth year in a row. You’ve never eaten there.
6. When someone asks why this is your 24th Christmas without a girlfriend/boyfriend.
7. When all three of your aunts side-eye you as you reach for your third slice of pie.
8. When your conservative uncle tries to school you on Donald Trump, gun laws, and the latest Nickelback C.D.
9. When your grandpa demands you play “Go Tell It on The Mountain” on the piano, even though you haven’t touched a piano since you were wearing Lip Smacker chapstick necklaces.
10. When your dad says that your mom has been naughty this year.
11. When you catch your brother and his fiancée doing unmentionable things in the bathroom.
12. When your mom gets drunk and turns on anything Flo Rida because he’s “hip.”