It is January as I write this and I happen to be wearing white jeans. This is not uncommon, I am often wearing white jeans, no matter the month (as it is now January), weather (rain will not get in my way), activity (even tempting fate as I wear them wine tasting). I love white jeans. I wish I could blame it on the unseasonably warm temperatures, and though they may be subliminally tempting me to wear my white jeans more often, warm temperatures alone can’t entirely take the blame. I love white jeans, winter-white, ivory…really any shade will work. And it doesn’t just have to be white jeans – white pants- white leather is a favorite too. I wear them year round and always have.
I’ve just never been a big fan of rules in general, so rules for when it comes to how I dress and what I wear, have always been met with nothing short of complete disdain. As far back as when I was in nursery school when we were not allowed to wear dresses (I believe this was actually due to playing on the monkey bars and swinging around during recess but I can’t really be sure). This did not sit well with me and I insisted on wearing my beloved dresses…I just had to wear them over my pants. So I suppose it is really only natural for me to have paid no attention to the very old, hard and fast rule of “no wearing white pants before memorial day or after labor day”. I do understand there are some that enjoy guidelines, so, if one must follow some style rules, might I recommend the below:
- Wear what makes you happy (which will often be what you look best in)
- Have different styles and play with them
- Do not lock yourself into one style archetype – some days I wake up wanting to be very polished and some days I feel best in slouchy boyfriend jeans and sneakers
- Be yourself in whatever version of “look” you are working that day
- And most importantly…
- Have fun, play, explore, take chances…don’t take any of it too seriously.
Wear your white jeans in winter or any time the mood strikes, wear whatever you want. Life already has enough rules. So in order to help you break rules I have listed a few of my absolute favorite white jeans:
- Madewell 9” high-rise skinny in pure white
- Frame – Le Skinny de Jeanne cropped (and distressed) jean
- AG – Stilt distressed jean