How Loving Yourself First Changes Your Love Life
People have a tendency to say that in order to love others properly, you need to love yourself first. That concept blew my mind, because I didn’t understand it at all. It also didn’t help that I was a bit of a cynic. Not that I wanted to be, but I’ve been burnt so many times in love that I still had the sour taste in my mouth. It’s almost like you find that perfect apple, just like Snow White did. It’s just the right shape and size and oh, so inviting… And then you bite into it, only to discover that it’s sour or even worse – poisonous. Same thing happens when you fall in love with wrong people. You either spit them out or you choke on them.
- Loving yourself means that you know when you need to spit out. It’s knowing who you are deep inside; what you want on a soul level; what you deserve; and sticking to it. Sometimes loving yourself means being okay with being alone. No need to stay in an unhappy relationship, just so you can say that you have someone.
- Loving yourself means that you are already a complete person. You are not one-half and you don’t NEED the other person. You CHOOSE to be with the other person, because you were never incomplete. Instead of you being the leader and your SO the follower, you rule side to side.
- Loving yourself means that you accept yourself, you love your body as it is and you are happy with the person that you are. Trust me – that inner confidence has the ability to shine outwards and present you in the new light to people. People tend to gravitate towards people who are confident – just like moths to the flame. You’re a trailblazer baby!
- Loving yourself means accepting yourself and accepting the person you’re with. There is nothing that you would want to change about the other person. You are tolerant and receptive, because you know you wouldn’t like it if someone wanted to change you. If it just doesn’t work and nothing helps, and you feel the need to change the other person, then you love yourself enough to part ways.
- Loving yourself means that you have the ability to love the other person the way you love yourself. Ugh, sounds confusing, right? But it’s very simple actually. It means that you love without reservations and without judgment, because that’s exactly how you’re supposed to love yourself.
Now give yourself some love and then spread it around like confetti! ❤️[image via shutterstock]
CLICK HERE FOR FULL VERSION OF THIS STORY