I used to be a beauty product hoarder. If it came in cute, colorful wrapping and promised to make me look better than a lawn gnome, there was a solid chance I would buy it and pray that it didn’t cause my face erupt in thousands of micro pimples. My bathroom drawers were overflowing with Sephora samples, tubes of various shades of pink lip gloss, under-eye concealers, mascaras, and lotions. Few things were more exciting than taking home a bag full of shiny new products to keep me looking like my best self.
When I moved to New York, though, I didn’t have the time, space, or budget to maintain my habit. Call it a New York sacrifice or call it growing up, but I soon realized that less is more—in the amount of makeup taking up space in my bathroom and the amount of makeup I use on a daily basis. I used to think purple eyeliner would be my signature beauty habit, but now I don’t use eyeliner at all.
Now, I’ve got a simple, under 10-minute beauty routine that lets me hit snooze a few extra times each morning and keeps my skin feeling good. Below is my lazy girl beauty routine and my go-to products that keep me looking and feeling all-natural.
- Pre-Clean. I wash, tone, and moisturize my face every morning and night to make sure everything’s squeaky clean. My skin is extremely sensitive and dry, and Mario Badescu’s skincare products are the best non-irritating and affordable bottles of goodness I have yet to find.
Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser $15.
Mario Badescu Aloe Vera Toner $15.
Mario Badescu Oil Free Moisturizer SPF 17 $24.
2. Foundation. For years, I’ve struggled to find a lightweight foundation that provided maximum and longterm coverage, looked natural, and didn’t irritate my skin. Though a bit pricey, Givenchy’s Teint Couture foundation does the job and provides that no-makeup look that creates the illusion that your skin is Beyoncé-level flawless.
Givenchy Teint Couture Long-Wearing Fluid Foundation $50.
3. Highlighter. To give my skin a bit of a glow, I use a tiny dot of NARS illuminator and apply it to the bridge of my nose, chin and cheekbones.
NARS Illuminator in “Orgasm” $30.
4. Cheek/ Lip Stain. Josie Maran’s lip and cheek tinted argan oil in “Everlasting Honey” has been my favorite beauty product for almost a year now. If the fact that it’s a reliable 2-for-1 isn’t enough to convince you to add this product to your holiday wish list, the moisturizing effects of argan oil will keep your skin hydrated in the dry winter months. I dab a dot on both cheeks, as well as on my lips for the tiniest hint of color
5. Mascara. A few swipes of mascara, and I’m out the door. I like Benefit’s they’re real! in brown.